Thursday, October 8, 2009

October 2009 All Ways Well Newsletter

In This Issue:
**Rebecca is all better! Thanks for your support
**Treating Fibromyalgia Naturally - great recommendations from Bob Flaws
**Appointments available! Get them while they're hot!
---------------------
Rebecca is all better! Thanks for your support.
Phew! Now that I've had my cold I'm planning another 4.5 to 5 year hiatus from illness. I've lined up my herbal formulas, I'm taking my vitamins and I am good to go. Thank you so much to all of you who sent me well wishes via email, it was very much appreciated, and thank you to everyone who was kind enough to understand my predicament and reschedule. Now that I am mended I am more determined than ever to help us all avoid feeling this way by incorporating preventative care and wellness maintenance into our routines.

If you don't have a routine or feel like your routine could use a check in, please don't hesitate to call, email me or come in for a tune up appointment to make sure you have all the preventatives you need in place this winter. With the first reported Swine Flu cases in Oregon coming across my inbox, keeping a good antiviral remedy on hand should be a given this season and if you don't have one you like, I am happy to suggest something. Two of my favorites are actually Ban Lan Gen, or Isatis Root, single herb tincture and Yin Qiao Wan which is a combination of cold fighting herbs. Both are available in my office or online if you just want to order something to be delivered to your door via my Virtual Dispensary system.


Treating Fibromyalgia Naturally - great recommendations from Bob Flaws
Bob Flaws is an amazing Acupuncturist with an interested background spanning education both here in the US and in China. He's authored a number of books and articles and has his own Chinese herbal company called Blue Poppy where he formulates both high concentration classical herbal remedies and some good modifications of his own. Recently I came across a great article of his about treating Fibromyalgia naturally and I thought his recommendations were realistic and to the point so I thought I would share. If you don't know what Fibromyalgia is don't worry - while the term is becoming more common many people are not familiar with this syndrome and the exact cause of Fibromyalgia is still unknown. Typically categorized by a combination of sleep issues and all over body pain that is especially intense at a series of specific points, as well as fatigue, Fibromyalgia is recognized as a chronic condition and can be very debilitating. Diagnosis is difficult and Western treatment generally involves various combinations of painkillers and sleep medication. Acupuncture and Chinese Medicine along with lifestyle change and an experiential understanding of your personal limits can combine to create excellent treatment outcomes, however. This article by Bob Flaws outlines some of the recommended lifestyle changes you can make both to treat and prevent Fibromyalgia. Here are some of the recommendations I liked best:
1. Eliminate processed foods from the diet, especially refined sugar and white flour. These foods provide little nutrition and can damage the Spleen and Stomach energetically, which are the organs that govern not only digestion but also musculature from a Chinese perspective.
2. Find some type of exercise that you really enjoy and just do it!
3. Take a walk every day - this is a great way to break up routine and decrease stress in your day.
4. If you know you have too much stress in your life, then find a solution. This may not be something you can do on your own and seeking help through counseling or therapy might be a necessity for you to succeed and if it is, you should do it. Stress is an intense aggravating factor in Fibromyalgia and getting stress under control can be a key to feeling better and maintaining health.
5. Try to decrease or eliminate sodas from your diet. Sodas are acidic and loaded with sugar and chemicals that can damage the Spleen and Kidneys energetically.

These are just a few of the suggestions in Bob's article and for the full 11 point list, please click HERE to be directed to the Acufinder website to read more. If you know someone with Fibromyalgia or you have Fibromyalgia yourself, consider coming in for a course of Acupuncture treatment as a safe and effective alternative to Western medication.


Appointments available! Get them while they're hot!
I know my schedule has been very full of late, but there are appointments available and if you want to get in now is a great time to call, email, or go online to book. I've opened up this Saturday 10/10 to accommodate patients when I was ill, but few people have taken me up on the offer so I still have some appointments available. I've also had a couple of recurring appointments canceled through the end of the year so I actually have appointments available Saturday, next week and the week after that. If you've been wanting to get in but feeling like my schedule is too full, now is your chance! Please go online and schedule today or contact me and I will help you get on the books. These appointments will go fast too, however, so please book soon if you are interested.

Thanks for tuning in!
Thanks again for your support while I was ill, everyone, and thank you for listening today. Remember you can always book on-line via my website, email me direct or call at (503)445-8888 ext. 1 for appointments, consultations or if you just want to contact me with a question. Hope everyone is holding up through the transitions in the weather and I hope I get to see you soon!

~Rebecca

No comments: