Friday, February 1, 2013

[All Ways Well News] January 2013 Newsletter

In This Issue:
** Happy New Year! & Successful Lifestyle Change
** Thanks for Tuning In! Book On-line Anytime!

---------------------
Happy New Year! & Successful Lifestyle Change Well, its here - 2013, can you believe? Now I'm not always a great one for New Year Resolutions per se, but I can't help but get lost in moments of reflection with the beginning of the year, and I always feel a renewed sense of hope as I see the 1st of January on the calendar. A new sense of potential and possibility.

This year, in addition to applying for Supermom position, I've been reflecting on what I feel I'm really good at in my practice and what (aside from my glowing personality, of course...) sets me apart from the sea of acupuncturists in the alternative medicine mecca that is Portland. You know what I discovered? In the midst of football season here, one of my best talents in practice is being a cheerleader and a coach. At helping people set health goals, achieve them and stick with them because I truly believe that the deepest heart of Chinese medicine is the philosophy and culture of health and wellness that it breeds - the traditional focus on wellness and prevention vs. pathology and disease.

I think this is due to the specific combination of my training and my personal experience. As someone who suffered with an eating disorder and resultant IBS, I know how difficult true lifestyle change can be - its rarely as simple as flipping a switch. It takes discipline, effort and a willingness to accept and let go. It takes accountability - to yourself, to your goals, to others. You have to want it, but you can't hold onto it so tightly that you work yourself up or stress yourself out and everyone has to find the individual balance which leads to true lasting success.

Luckily, people like me are here to help and Acupuncture and Chinese Medicine have excellent tools to help you succeed long term. In addition to acupuncture itself, here are some of the things I've learned that help me and that I apply in treatment with my patients:

Set measurable attainable goals: Yes yes, we've all heard the "SMART" goals acronym, and I personally feel the measurable and attainable parts in particular are most important. What does this mean? Set a goal you can quantify (I will succeed in being sugar free for 10 days, for instance) and that is attainable - i.e. reasonable. If you say you're going to quit sugar for life, you may feel daunted and not be able to succeed. If you say 10 days, 2 hours, 2 weeks, you know you can do it and then you can extend the goal from there. Every step you successfully take bolsters you for the next, so be reasonable with yourself and break up the big stuff into little chunks to make it manageable.

Be Accountable: This one can be hard and is one of the areas that Acupuncture can really help. If you want to succeed, you need to be accountable to something or someone or both. Keep a diary where you write everything down - i.e. force yourself to write down every cigarette you smoke, all the food you eat etc. In addition work with a practitioner like myself who is going to ask you about your goals as well. Sometimes just knowing that you're going to have to keep track or that someone is going to ask you about it can be enough to help you go the extra mile to succeed.

Be Kind to Yourself: Whether the change you want to make is large or small, its easy to slip up or have a weak moment and then feel like all is lost. Well guess what - it isn't. One step off or back doesn't put you back to the starting line unless you give up or give in for a prolonged period after that moment. The key to success? Be kind to yourself, accept that you can't be perfect and that mistakes happen and get back on track as soon as possible. One cookie doth not the end of the weight loss path make. Twelve cookies a day with repeat offense? A pem. Accept the small mistakes and get back on track without wasting time or energy beating yourself up about it.

Acceptance, Breathe, Flow, Don't Be Concerned with Outcomes: This is one of my favorite mantras from my heavy martial arts days (thanks Poekoelan!) and I always find it helpful. Sure, lifestyle change generally involves some being concerned with outcomes - you have a goal or two after all - but the essence of this statement to me is more about what I just said above. Focus on the journey, not the goal even if you have one, and accept that if you stay the course and stay present in the moment, you're going to get to the end and reach the goal when the time is right. Be Patient: True success comes with staying the course over time and you have to be patient with yourself and with the process. The quick fix rarely lasts so dedicate yourself to the longer journey where you can really create lasting change.

Thanks for Tuning In!
As usual thanks again for tuning in! Interested in learning more or have questions about creating change and achieving goals in your life? Please don't hesitate to call, email or book on-line anytime.

I look forward to seeing you!
~Rebecca

No comments: