Friday, October 5, 2012

September 2012 Newsletter (9/1/12)

In This Issue:
** Happy Labor Day!
** Fall is Coming
** Thanks for Tuning In! Book On-line Anytime!
---------------------
Happy Labor Day! (but not quite for me...) I hope you have all enjoyed a WONDERFUL Labor Day Weekend! I have myself, though I have succeeded in passing my due date sans baby which has me quite perplexed and mildly uncomfortable (as you can imagine, especially those of you that have exceeded your due dates with babies yourselves!).

My friends and family are all awaiting baby's arrival with me anxiously and offering many entertaining insights. Such as its a Virgo thing - she has a plan. Also that the battle of wills between mother and daughter has already begun! Highly probable. And much more.

One of the most intriguing, however, was this article posted on the Smithsonian Blog suggesting that gestational length has to do with the energy availability of the mother, not with previously held scientific hypothesis about pelvic width vs. head circumference. So... perhaps I have too much energy? Energy is part and parcel with my work as you well know. Still, it feels hard to believe at this stage of pregnancy, but who knows.

At any rate, we're waiting! I'm proceeding with acupuncture induction treatments on a daily basis, and thinking of you, my patients, whom I miss already! Rest assured I'll send out a notice via email with baby info once there is something to report!

Fall's Imminent Arrival Have I mentioned before that Fall is my most favorite time in Portland? Spring and Summer in Portland are wonderful too, but Fall is just something extra special to me. Never mind that this is when I moved here for college oh so many years ago.... or when I got married... or when my son was born and daughter is destined to.... Yeah, I'm a bit of a Fall in Portland junkie.

Fall is governed by the Metal Element, meaning its a time to set boundaries and goals, a time to finish projects and outline what comes next, a time for planning. The Metal Element governs the Lungs and the Large Intestine, meaning this is also a time to move on and let things go, a time to focus on breath and presence. As the weather will force us more indoors soon, this is a great time to create or refine habits centered around breath and focus like Qi Gong and Meditation.

If you find you're having a hard time with this transition or need help with motivation to complete tasks, with centering and balancing to be present with your breath, or if new fall Allergies are coming to bear (leaf molds in particular can start coming to the fore during this season), please consider coming in for treatment sooner rather than later.

Acupuncture is a seasonal medicine, it can help you transition from one season to the next with harmony and grace which can be a challenge for many of us to achieve without a little assistance. Our general work lives don't often allow us a natural rhythm with the seasons, but our bodies are still affected both physically and energetically and its worthwhile to honor that if you can make the time.

Thanks for Tuning In! As usual thanks again for tuning in! Keep in touch, schedule appointments with Noreen and book in for my return! Please don't hesitate to call or book on-line anytime and please do see Noreen while I'm away.

Looking forward to seeing you!
~Rebecca

No comments: